About Me

My photo
Keen to hear from anyone who agrees with me or not, as long as you have an open mind and a sense of humour!

What day is it?

It’s fashionable these days to have a special day / week / month for, well, anything really. My LinkedIn feed is filled every day, all day, with a different notification of a day / week / month celebrating every sort of person, cause, thing under the sun.

International Women’s Day (March 8th) takes the shine off Mother’s Day (March 14th this year), but I can’t be arsed with either as March 4th is my Aunt’s birthday and March 8th is my Mum’s. On top of this there’s LGBTQ+XYZ History Month in February and Black History Month in October. 

When are we going to have a Straight White Male Month please?

 
Secretary’s Day appears to have morphed into Administrative Professionals Day (21st April), probably because filing clerks, minute takers, data inputters and bookkeepers felt left out and threatened to start their own special day. Indeed, bookkeepers can also hang their hat on National Numeracy Day on May 19th. Talking about geeks, don’t forget World Teachers Day on October 5th – one of the few days of the year teachers aren’t actually on holiday.

Hubby – an obsessive MAMIL (Middle Aged Man In Lycra) – just asked me what I was blogging about this time. When I told him, he asked sarcastically when's World Cycling Day. He was surprised to hear it’s September 17th.

Medical conditions get in on the act as well. World Cancer Day is February 4th, World Diabetes Day  14th November, and Mental Health Awareness Week (10th – 16th May) is also known as Prince Harry’s Wet Dream Week. I wonder what will become Covid Day / Week / Month / Decade.

Which of all of these and others is my favourite? Has to be Dementia Awareness Week (14th – 21st May), because most people who give a fig forget it’s happening.

My least favourite is without doubt World Pilots Day on 26th April because: a) I spend most of my time trying to limit their employment opportunities, and b) the recent LinkedIn-announcement of this hallowed day was accompanied by the dreadful, terrible, earth-shattering, get-some-perspective news that only 5.44% of pilots are women.

I was going to add a wake-up comment to the LinkedIn post but a brave bloke beat me to it. He wrote:

       “The world will celebrate International Nurses Day on May 12th. But, men don't whine about                 'only 8% of males are in Nursing …' industries are ratifying gender quotas and tokenism that bars         moral intrinsic virtues of meritocracy that stems from the psychological traits that differentiate the         genders.” 

(International Nurses Day? Please don’t tell me we have to clap for the whole day!)

Actually,  my would-be wake-up comment would have been a woke-up comment; I would have asked if the statistic, 5.44% of pilots being women, meant women as in born-women, identifying as women, transitioned to become women, or anything but men.

By the way, in addition to LGBTetc.etc.etc. month in February, there’s an International Transgender Day of Remembrance on November 20th and International Transgender Day of Visibility on March 31st.

How about a Stop The World I Want To Get Off Day.

Visit my LinkedIn Profile

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment